Saturday, April 28, 2012

Step One: Conquering My Everest

Ever since the days of candy bar sales to raise money for little league or magazine sales to pay my way to the Mackinac Island field trip in the 4th grade, there is one word that continues to make me shake...fundraising. 

I thought I had kissed those days goodbye long ago. However, I couldn't have been more wrong. Those were only little bumps compared to the Everest I must conquer. $60,000. My first instinct was, "AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" A couple hundred dollars to go to Mackinac Island seemed unattainable! So why does my dream job, the job I've been passionate about since my own middle school experience, have this big twist to it?

I know exactly why. I have been fundraising for a little over a month now to be able to start a full time career as the Campus Life M Director at Lowell Middle School. A job that I have always tried to describe to people as a perfect fit for me but I didn't know it actually existed. Mentoring students who come from homes with neglectful or abusive parents, building the trust of a student who thinks that no one, not even God could possibly love them, journeying with students who have given up on life; this is the passion God gave me. But God knew that I needed a kick in the pants.

These students that I will be journeying with will be wrestling with some of their biggest fears. Rejection. Hurt. Trust. How can I complain about having to do something that I am afraid of in order to begin a career helping students with the things they are afraid of? Fundraising seems like a pretty petty fear in comparison.

I am pleased to say that I am about halfway to my $60,000. Would you do me a favor? Would you please take some time to pray for me as I continue the process of fundraising? Would you pray for the students of Lowell? And would you prayerfully consider financially supporting the ministry? We are a team. Some of you may not be able to think of anything more terrifying than spending all day with middle schoolers; others may not have the time because of a busy work and home life. Whatever the case may be I would love for you to play a part in the team. I, along with a team of volunteers will be the representatives that you send out into the halls of middle school; a place many of you probably would prefer never returning to (and I don't blame you! Braces, bullies, and zits are never a fun thing to relive). We need prayers and funding to be able to do this. Is this something that you would be willing to do for the team?

"On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
Mark 2:17

I would love to talk to you more about the ministry. Let me know if you have any questions that you would like answered.

Grace and peace,
Stacey

1 comment:

  1. Some of you may be wondering what the $60,000 will be going towards...good question! Thank you for asking. The total amount I am raising is going to be divided up into numerous different areas among the ministry. The different areas include training, benefits, administrative, start up costs, ministry costs, salary, YFC fees, etc for the entire year. I hope this is helpful.
    -Stacey

    ReplyDelete